Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZX25 tongue weight/towing with a motorhome. 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZX25 tongue weight/towing with a motorhome. 

We bought a ZX25 last year that we towed with my ¾ ton Duramax all last year. This year we want to do some destination boating towing with our diesel pusher motorhome. Our motorhome has a 10,000 lbs tow rating but states that weight distribution hitch is required if trailer weight is greater than 5,000 lbs. My understanding is that this is because the axle of the motorhome is so far forward and the chassis is already carrying the weight of the engine, transmission, and all the motorhome behind that axle and the chassis can’t handle additional tongue weight of a 5,000 lbs plus trailer.

Adding a WDH is easy and I don’t mind doing it if I should. However, adding that stress to the pin of the swing away tongue worries me. Also, my boat is riding on a triple axle Boatmate trailer and I’ve been told that this setup has very little tongue weight. Does anyone know what the tongue weight is on this setup? If the tongue weight is under 750 lbs then I’m not worried about adding a WDH.

Any input is much appreciated!

The tongue weight on the 25 is significantly more than any of the other models but probably not much over 750. I would really avoid using a WHD unless you have electric brakes, the WDH will interfere with the surge actuator and boat mate actually recommends against it.

Does your motorhome have a tag axle on the back? Friends of mine have one and towed an ri257 all over US and Canada with zero issues. Even without it you will likely be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
      The tongue weight on the 25 is significantly more than any of the other models but probably not much over 750. I would really avoid using a WHD unless you have electric brakes, the WDH will interfere with the surge actuator and boat mate actually recommends against it.

Does your motorhome have a tag axle on the back? Friends of mine have one and towed an ri257 all over US and Canada with zero issues. Even without it you will likely be fine.
      Thanks for your reply. No we don’t have a tag axle on our motorhome. Our trailer does have surge brakes so that is another concern. I think I need to get my hands on a tongue weight scale and see what it actually is under our normal tow conditions with the gear and such we normally travel with.

Comment

You can always add a small amount of rear ballast to lighten up the tongue weight. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X